Re: ASTM A500 Gr B

Offshore structures use a lot of HSS (tubular) structural members. Normally API
5L (Grade B or superior grades) are followed for tubes of 16" diameter and less.
For higher diameters, they are specified to be rolled and welded from plates of
a given specification.We usually specify and get seamless tubes in this smaller
diameter range, internationally. Generally the feedback is that seamless pipes
are cheaper for these smaller diameters. It would be difficult to roll and weld
smaller dia pipes. Spiral welded and Electric Resistance Welded pipes of smaller
dia are available, but we don't use them.

Hope this helps.

M. Hariharan