From: Dave Evans [mailto:DEvans(--nospam--at)tnh-inc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 1:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: fatigue category

Does anyone have a reference that specifies the fatigue category
for base metal with a small (say 1" dia) drilled or cored hole in it?

This is NOT a primary bolted or riveted connection as shown in the
typical fatigue category illustrations in AASHTO, AREA, and AISC;
the hole just permits a proposed retrofit appurtenance's bolt to
pass through the flange of a girder.

One of my refs says category A, which I want to hear, and the
other says category D.  Category A is from the Structural
Engineering Handbook, 3rd Ed, by Gaylord^2 (illustration 28 on
page 4-8...but size of hole not shown, hole presumed centered),
and Cat D is from Bridge Engr Hdbk, 1st Ed, by Chen and Duan
(pg 53-8).

Thanks,

D a v e    E v a n s
T N H, I n c.