RE: DIFFERENCE?

Rafter: closely spaced framing members supporting a roof.

Floor joist or ceiling joist: closely spaced parallel beams supporting a
floor or ceiling.

Girder: a large beam, generally one into which other beams frame.

Beam: structural member which primarily resists loads in bending, generally
a horizontal member.
(This is a general term which includes the above specific member types.)

(Adapted from Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary of Building and
Construction Terms, Prentice Hall, 1976.)