RE: Welding across the flange?

The concerns of welding across a flange in general is to broad of a area for
generalization.  The penetration, loading, and stresses at and around the
weldment is necessary for proper evaluation.

Although, welding does not reduce the strength of a ductile steel such as
A36 (upon cooling down), it does change the metallurgical make up, resulting
in relative brittleness.

In contradiction to the aforesaid I offer the following , it may be a
fatigue issue (i.e. stress riser) generally speaking.