RE: Welding across the flange?

Did this factor play any role in the Northridge Disaster?  (I don't think so
but I'm interested in hearing from others!!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dinmore, Gary [mailto:Dinmore(--nospam--at)pbworld.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 10:00 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Welding across the flange?

The concerns of welding across a flange in general is to broad of a area for
generalization.  The penetration, loading, and stresses at and around the
weldment is necessary for proper evaluation.

Although, welding does not reduce the strength of a ductile steel such as
A36 (upon cooling down), it does change the metallurgical make up, resulting
in relative brittleness.

In contradiction to the aforesaid I offer the following , it may be a
fatigue issue (i.e. stress riser) generally speaking.