RE: Welding across the flange?

>Did this factor play any role in the Northridge Disaster?  (I don't think so
>but I'm interested in hearing from others!!)
One of the questions in some of the litigation involved improper choice
of welding consumables. Lincoln Electric was blamed for supplying weld
electrodes that produced non-ductile welds as evidenced by low Charpy
results. I think the question was whether Lincoln exerted undue pressure
to buy the electrodes, which coincidently had a high deposition rate and
were seen as a way to save money. My own feeling is that any engineer who
specifies a weld electrode on the basis of deposition rate doesn't know
enough about welding to be in the electrode-specification business, which
is definitely an engineering function.

There was an article somewhere on this in one of the LA papers a year or
two ago.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw