RE: Plywood diaphragms

The only limitation on this type of construction is fire resistive
provisions of the code, not structural. UBC allows Type-V (combustible
construction) buildings for certain types of occupancies, up to two stories,
to be of unlimited area. Often the owners chose to use metal deck and
concrete on the second floor and plywood on the roof.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA