Re: Plywood diaphragms

diaphragm work.  Using the typical building code distribution of story
forces, triangular force distribution, the roof force is going to be
significantly more than if the second floor was a wood diaphragm.  Some
people will argue that you have two different systems (flexible roof and
rigid 2nd floor) and you can separate the lateral loadings and not have to do
the triangular distribution.  You will probably be better off staying with a
concrete filled metal deck for the roof if possible, even if the construction
costs are more.  Makes it easier if you have to hang stuff from the roof in
the future.

Mike Cochran

In a message dated 2/23/2001 1:36:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,