RE: K FACTORS

Charlie,

Ever consider getting rid of the K's altogether (ref ASCE "Effective Length
and Notional Load Approaches for Assessing Frame Stability....)?

This would be the ideal place to start. If ever there was a cobbled up
application of effective length concepts, it's appendix F. A more
fundamental approach solves this one rather neatly, and with far less work.

Peter Higgins, SE

>I've seen solutions that model the tapered member as a series of a whole
lotta (technical term) prismatic segments. I presume (hope) that the
corresponding K factor was selected as for a stepped column.

We have a task group of our Committee on Specifications that is working on
proposal for a replacement to the current provisions.

Charlie
<