RE: Design of steel canopies

> I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for information
> regarding the design of steel
> canopies such as the type found at Gas-Stations and Rental Car Stores.
>
> Thanks
> Don Carroll

Don,

If you are looking for a 'how to' book for designing canopies you probably
won't find one, even though there are accepted methods that are used for
their design.  They are definitely odd-ball structures when it comes to
applying code provisions and interpretations need to be made because code
requirements are not directly applicable to them.

As the EOR for hundreds of these structures over the past few years I can
fax you a copy of the design premise that I have used for these canopies.
If you e-mail me privately with your fax number I will get it to you.

Jim Persing, SE