Re: AISC Code of Standard Practice 2000

Sirs,

	I have been following the discussion on the above topic with some
interest.  It seems to me that all engineers affected by this problem
may not be able to wait for a negotiated settlement with AISC,
therefore, some interim solution is required.  Furthermore, some other
organizations may also have similar undesirable clauses in their
publications.  Let me suggest a clause in the contract documents which
may help.

	Most contracts have sections such as "General Conditions", "Special
Conditions", "Technical Conditions", "Drawings", Specifications, etc.
They also have clauses dealing with discrepancies such as "In the event
of a discrepancy between the drawings and the specifications, --------
shall govern".  What may help in the present situation is a clause such
as

"Published specifications, Standards and  Other Documents sited as
references in the Technical Conditions Section, the Specifications, the
Drawings or elsewhere if applicable, are intended to establish a
standard of performance for the Work and are not intended to define the
scope of work nor to establish responsibilities of any Persons who are
party to or affected by the contract."

				Respectfully submitted

				H. Daryl Richardson, P.Eng
				Calgary, Alberta, Canada.