RE: Concrete Problem

Perform some NDT (i.e. cores, bond strength, etc.) to determine what you
really have.  It could have just been over worked.  If that is the case, use
hydro demolition (high-pressure water) to remove the poor quality concrete.
If the depth of material removed is minimal apply the thin set for the tile
directly over it and adjust thickness of bed as necessary.  If substancial
material is removed it may be necessary to add an overlay.

(Note: Test maximum specified water pressure on piping and conduits prior to
demolition work to make sure damage or unwanted water infiltration does not
result.)