electrical reaction between steel and aluminum

Dear SEAINT list service subscribers:

Jeff Kao, staff engineer of Drew Norman and Associates, requests for advise or suggestion on the issue of electrical reactions between two dissimilar metals.  I am currently working on a project involving stair modification at a store in LA.  The architect calls for glass guard rails as a fall protection for an exit stair.  Guard rails are made of aluminum and mounted to steel beams.  We specified coating of asphaltic paint to prevent corrosion due to electrical reaction of these dissimilar metals.  The contractor however failed to apply this coating and the stair is already built.  The inspector denied to grant the certificate of occupancy on the basis the stair is not built per design.  The architect asked to waive the coating requirement.  Can we live with this?  Does anyone have any suggestion or remedy to this problem other than tearing down the stair and rebuild it per design?  You immediate input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kao