Re: Shortening existing concrete joist

It would sound from your description that you don't have a negative moment
at the end of the span where the shortening will occur.  If my read is
incorrect and you do have a negative moment, then you will need to take a
close look at the top bars on the end that would be cut for proper
development and moment capacity.  You also should check your development
of the bottom bars...it should not be a problem with only cutting 3 feet,
but check never the less.  You may also want to check your moment
coefficients...if you are using the ACI moment coefficient, keep in mind
that they are only permitted for certain conditions (see section 8.3.3 of
ACI 318-99).

Hope that helps,

Scott