Re: Combination 'A' Glulam Beams

Conrad,

I just received your fax.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send this information.

Regards,
Gina

Gina T. Gobo, EIT
Carter & Burgess, Inc
Facilities - Structural Engineering
Seattle, WA
Ph. 425-822-7096
Fax 425-822-7246
gobogt(--nospam--at)c-b.com

>>> conrad(--nospam--at)karren.com 02/26/01 01:37PM >>>
Gina:

I have a copy of the 1973 UBC.  This was before my time, so I am not totally
familiar with it.  It doesn't appear to have been changed from the 1970 UBC
as evidenced by no revision bar in the margin.  It appears the Combination
Symbol A is for hardwoods, not softwoods such as Douglas Fir, and it is used
in conjunction with Tables 25-D Part A and 25-D Part B to arrive at the
allowable stresses.

The combination symbols for D.F. are 16F, 18F, 20F, 22F, and 24F, which have
no rating for weak axis bending, and 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for combinations
rated for both strong and weak axis bending.

Reply to me privately, and I could fax you a copy of these tables.

Conrad Guymon, P.E.

conrad(--nospam--at)karren.com

I am checking the roof structure for a building built in 1971. Does anyone
have the UBC for this time period?

More specifically, I am looking for the allowable design stresses for a
Glulam beam that is D.F. Combination 'A.'

Any information is greatly appreciated...

*   site at: http://www.seaint.org