Re: Erection of Double-framed beam Connection to Columns

These are 2 common problems.

1. The first problem can be solved in the field by temporarily welding
one beam to the column until the opposing beam can be bolted. On future
projects, I would suggest that you make the fabricator responsible to
provide a bolted  erection seat angle or longer clip angles with more
bolts on one side of the column than on the other.

2. The beam can be erected if one of the stiffeners on each column is
field welded in place afterwards. I see no choice here but to remove one
stiffener on each column to erect the beam. On future projects, have one
stiffener shipped to the site loose for field welding.

I hope this helps.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.