FW: acoustical steel deck over swimming

I would be very reluctant to use an acoustical steel deck over a swimming
pool.  The air is going to be very moisture laden, and since chlorine is used
in the pool water, the air moisture is also going to contain chlorine, making
the vapor a mild hydrochloric acid.  Trapping moisture in the perforations
will result in quick deterioration of the metal deck.  I have seen holes
rusted thru flanges of steel building frames that were constructed over pools.

I would not count on moisture barriers to protect the deck from moisture as
it is not uncommon for some modification to be punched thru the moisture
barrier and the barrier not properly repaired.  Also, some moisture barriers
do not also function as vapor barriers.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona