Re: Erection of Double-framed beam Connection to Columns

--- Soojin Hur <sjhur(--nospam--at)hdec.co.kr> wrote:
> According to Project Standard Drawings, shear
> connection of beam in pipe rack shall be done by
> using double angle as shop and field bolted. Now we
> are confronting the following erection problems with
> this Standard;
>
> 1. Erection hazard due to common bolt
> Longitudinal beams have common connection bolts at
> column webs. In this case, we have to remove the
> bolts from the first beam connected for connecting
> the second beams, in which erection hazard exists.

  I suggest you use temporary welded seat angles.  I
hope the steel is not galvanized.

> 2. Interference problem with column stiffener
> The pipe rack is 3-stories, and moment connection in
> transverse direction, and braced frame in
> longitudinal direction. We installed transverse
> moment frames first, and 2nd story longi-beams. When
> we inserted 3rd story longi-beam into installed
> frames, beam is interfered with stiffeners in column
> web. Widening the space between frames is very
> difficult, since story height of 2nd story is only
> 1.5 meter.

  At this 3rd level check whether the stiffener is
really required.  If it is not, remove it. It is
common for the engineer to design for the worst case
of moment connection and provide the details at all
connections!

Rajendran