Anchor rods -- ASTM F 1554

This question is, perhaps, directed to Charlie Carter, but help from anyone
with experience using the ASTM F 1554 spec for anchor rods would be
appreciated.

Our office recently decided to begin using the ASTM F 1554 spec for our
anchor rods.  In doing so, we reviewed the spec along with Charlie Carter's
SEAINT posts on the subject and the Modern Steel article about material
specifications.  As we read these materials, we had some disagreement on the
interpretation of the portions of the spec related to steel grades and
weldability.  One engineer concluded, "We should make grade 55 our standard,
and require the weldability supplement, since this is the only way to make
the rods weldable."  My interpretation was, "Grade 36 anchor rods are
intrinsically weldable, therefore there is no weldability supplement for
that material.  If you want Grade 55 rods and want them to be weldable, you
must specify the weldability supplement."  Which of these interpretations is
correct -- or are neither?

We also had some confusion over which material is most commonly used.
Charlie's recent e-mail stated that Grade 36 is the most common, but the
Modern Steel article (also written by Charlie) said that Grade 55 was the
most common.  Since the e-mail is more recent, I am assuming that this
represents the best info, and am leaning toward using Grade 36 as our
standard, and using Grade 55 only when the additional strength is required.
We just don't want to get ourselves into a situation where we're specifying
a material that is not readily available.  Anybody had any problem with
getting either material?

Thanks for the help.

Joel Adair, EIT
Halff Associates, Inc.