Re: Bridge Live Load Distribution

I worked on something like this a couple of years ago.  We had a contractor
who wanted to substitute a permanant bridge for a triple box culvert.  The design

What we did was take the dead load of the crane supplied from the manufacturer,
distribute it along the length of the tracks, apply an impact factor
of 1.3. and analyze it as a simple span (which it was). We also specified 6" (or 10"
I don't remember exactly) of stone to protect the deck and to help distribute the
load along the deck.

Hope this is helpful.

Jonathan Mallard

>>> <Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)us.mw.com> 02/27 11:50 AM >>>

I need to evaluate a bridge to determine if a large track hoe can safely cross
without having to be put on a truck.  I have the track hoe weight and ground
contact area.  How do I distribute the live load in order to analyse the deck
and girders?  All my references deal with distributing wheel and axle loads, not
loads from tracked vehicles.  Can any one point me in the right direction?

Kipp A. Martin, S. E.
Portland, Oregon