RE: Pre-engineered Metal Building

Been there, done that.  Check with Metal Building Mfg. to be sure column section can tolerate hole in web.  Try to have hole shop fabricated rather than flame cut in field.
-----Original Message-----
From: EMAIL SERVER
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 9:50 AM
To: MATTHEW STUART
Subject: FW: Pre-engineered Metal Building

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Towne [mailto:ctowne(--nospam--at)chaptech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 9:36 AM
To: SEAINT List Server
Subject: Pre-engineered Metal Building

I have a situation where the bearing elevation for the columns of a metal building is below the finished floor elevation by 4".  The slab is 6" thick.  The detail I usually use has the hairpin anchored to the anchor bolts though a mechanical connection.  This is not possible in this situation.  Has anyone seen a detail where the hairpin runs through a hole drilled in the column web?  Does anyone see any problems with this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris Towne, E.I.T. (Pending Test Results)
Chapman Technical Group