From: Charles Espenlaub [mailto:Cespenlaub(--nospam--at)martinaia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Pre-engineered Metal Building

Doesn't the hairpin lap with the WWF in the slab, which then can act as the tension tie reinforcing between opposing columns.  I thought that that was why the hairpins always had a wide spread on them, to engage enough WWF (to give you enough As) for the tension.  With this assumption, it is possible to assume no slab to subgrade friction.

Of course, the above assumes that the WWF is placed properly in the slab.

On the other hand, a slab on a vapor barrier does not have a coefficient of friction of zero.  I would, however, agree that the coefficient is lower than if no vapor barrier is used.  I seem to recall that the PTI design manual for slab on grade design gave some rule of thumb values for the friction coefficient for a slab with a vapor barrier.  Unfortunately, I no longer have a copy of it, so I can not pass along the value(s).

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering
Tel  215-665-8570
Fax 215-561-5064