Re: 6.2+ earthquake in Seattle

Monty, I don't disagree with you in the slightest.  I'm frustrated at the
"realities" of such decisions.  Each party has a different viewpoint and a
different *primary* objective.  We all need to make a living to survive but
engineers, being the conservative people that we (typically) are, tend to put
safety above profit, whereas some other unnamed parties lean the other way.
Hopefully they all balance out, but of course in some instances they don't.
I do a lot of residential earthquake strengthening design in the Bay Area and
always council my clients that they may spend a lot of money on strengthening
that's "wasted" if we don't have a significant earthquake during their
ownership of the house.  On the other hand we may have another 1906 tomorrow
and only a few of us will be prepared.

Ralph