RE: canopy holding down bolts

I think that if there was that much slip in the anchor bolts during tightening then the reason for that needs to be determined.  It seems that there is something wrong with the concrete mix or placement.  I think you should consider rejection of the footings since testing and investigation is probably more costly than replacement.

Jim Persing, SE
-----Original Message-----
From: Craig J Slama [mailto:cslama(--nospam--at)hvc.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 10:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: canopy holding down bolts

depending on the size of the piers and the size of your available base plate, it may
be easier to use expansion anchors or something like HILTI's undercut anchors.
If you have enough room in the steel plate, you may be able to develp them.  You
may also try removing the existing bots, drilling the hole deeper and larger, and grouting or epoxying some anchors or rods in.  It seems strange that you developed
enough tension during tightening to pull the anchors out of the pier.

Craig Slama

MIR MAHBOOB HUSSAIN wrote:

 I have an interesting practical problem for canopy .Due to the mistake by site engineer the holding downbolts of the canopy had been cut from its orignal designe length from 800 mm to 600 mm with out nut and plate at the bottom and the concrete has been casted.After the errection of the canopy skeleton when the full torqe is applied the bolts sliped the concrete and raised 50 mm above the original level.Since the canopy for gas station is open from all sides ,the wind load governs the design and all the supports are under uplift. I would like to know will it be possible to break the concrete along the perifery to expose the bolts and weld the bottom plate and anchors and then recast the conrete . thanks m m ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to * admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message type * "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email * to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message * type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For questions, send * email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********