RE: 6.2+ earthquake in Seattle

Gentlemen,

Seattle does not require retrofit of any buildings unless the owner is
making other changes or improvements to the building.  There are various
triggers in the Seattle amendments to the UBC that will require the building
to meet the current code requirements.  My opinion is that this is an
awkward provision since it is very difficult to show that the retrofit has
actually brought the old building into full compliance with current codes.
There seems to always be a compromise of some sort that is reached with the
building official with respect to the scope of the upgrades required.

Outside of Seattle, I am not aware of any requirements other than the UBC
provisions reagarding unsafe conditions.

This latest event may precipitate some changes.

Charlie Griffes