RE: 6.2+ earthquake in Seattle

City of LA under the visionary leadership of their Building Department and
the SEAOSC implemented a URM retrofit program in early 80's for URM's. This
resulted in almost 6000 structures being retrofitted to the criteria that
eventually made its way to the Uniform Code of Building Conservation. Since
then many other cities in California, such as San Jose,  have implemented
similar programs that have brought many of these unsafe buildings to some
reasonable level of safety. (I agree with you that bringing existing
buildings to full current code compliance is a daunting task)

Anyway, maybe other states will follow California's leadership, (as they do
in many other things!) and implement retrofit programs.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA