RE: Seattle Earthquake

"AIA Prez even had time to mention that AIA dispatches members to
participate
on quake recovery teams."

Well, you want to make sure that any necessary repair work fits the look of
the neighborhood, right?  I heard an interview with the head of the King
County Council (the county that Seattle is in) in which he credited the work
of local architects with good building performance.  I don't think 9 out of
10 people understand what we do.  I have had more than one conversation
where upon hearing that I work on building design, the person will say "so
you're an architect, right?"  I take time to explain exactly what it is a
engineer does, to which they respond, "so you're a specialized kind of
architect, then?"  Of course, in Seattle, when someone hears you're an
engineer, they assume you work for Boeing.

Paul Crocker, P.E.