Sent: February 28, 2001 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Film for glass windows

All window films are not a like when it comes to mitigating damage due to an
earthquake, hurricane, or a blast.
Some window films may be fine for sun control and that is about it.

3M makes a window film that is used extensively in Japan for seismic mitigation.
Kobe Japan had a huge problem with falling shards of glass after their
earthquake.

British Columbia (mainly the Vancouver area) has a serious issue on their hands
and your U. of B.C. knows it. You are in a high seismic zone ( around .27-.29g)
and you have terrible soils that will liquify under a major earthquake and you
have a serous threat of falling shards of glass with all your tall slender
buildings. Also, think of the property damage due to rain  (it does rain there
once in a while doesn't it?) after an earthquake has popped out a few windows
out of a tall office building downtown.

I have used the 3M Scotchshield 600 Ultra Supreme film for our facility on
Annicis Island in Vancouver. I must disclose, I'm a structural engineer for 3M
and work on our facilities.
As a structural engineer, you must determine if a window film and which one,
will meet  your project's criteria.
The codes presently say that you must design for life safety, yet say nothing
about design criteria curtain wall glass mitigation issues.
If your building is going to settle a few feet from liquefaction during an
earthquake, no window film will save your building, but it just may help
mitigate the threat of glass shards on people trying to exit the building and
rescue workers.

I recommend that you contact Doug Rich of Titan Window Films  in British
Columbia (250-391-0890) or Ron Phelps of 3M Canada (1-800-561-5115) for further
information.

Regards,

Nick.

"gbuydens" <gbuydens(--nospam--at)pacificcoast.net> on 02/27/2001 11:46:12 PM