Architect vs. Engineer

Fellow Engineers,

What's the difference?  I just read the definitions of Architecture and
Engineering from Funk & Wagnall's Standard Desk Dictionary and can see why
laymen are confused or unaware with what WE do.  The definitions are as
follows:

Architecture:  The science, art, or profession of designing and
constructing buildings or other structures.

Engineering:  The art and science of designing, constructing, and operating
roads, bridges, buildings, etc.

Ouch!, that must make me an Architect and an Engineer.  Since I am already
a "Son of an Architect" by birth, does that make me half Architect and half
Engineer?

I have used the same simplistic definition that Roger Turk used in
yesterdays email:

"An over simplified explanation of a Structural Engineer that I use, is,
"The
Architect draws the pretty picture, and the Structural Engineer figures out
how to hold it up."  (Sometimes I think even that is too complicated for
some
people.)"

But we still don't get the recognition for OUR achievements.  Architects
are even becoming leads on bridge projects!  But that brings about a whole
other issue.  For your own interests, read past articles in Structural
Engineer magazine.  You can subscribe to the free publication in the USA at
www.gostructural.com.   The architect/engineer articles were in the October
and November 2000 issues entitled "The architect and the bridge".  These
articles were spurred by an article in the August 2000 issue "Should
architects design bridges?"  Enjoy!  What a way to get fired up for the
weekend!

Mr. Jamie A. Heupel
Raasch Associates, Inc.
Green Bay, WI