RE: Foundation wall shear.

I'd use the square-root of the sum of the squares (Vector sum)

Mark Pemberton, P.E.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Miller [mailto:milm(--nospam--at)exchange.chemeketa.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 3:19 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Foundation wall shear.

I am looking at designing a foundation / basement wall that will be
 loaded with shear in both the in plane direction (using it as a
shear wall) and in the out of plane direction (from the soil pressure).
  I can calculate the shear load / stress in both directions, but how do I
resolve these because they could act simultaneously?

Am I thinking of this right, or am I making this too hard?

Thanks,
Mark Miller, P.E.