Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 5:31 PM
Subject: FW: Foundation Program: STADD vs. SAFE

Mark:

SAFE handles ONLY out of plane moments and forces, so no moment about the z axis (torsion).  I have never encountered a limit on the number of loads, although I am sure there is one.  It uses an out of core solver so the limiting factors will be your computer and the available hard drive space.  In other words, you could probably put as many loads as you needed, but the solution may take quite a while and it will result in VERY large files.

One of the best features is the no tension solution, although it too takes quite a while if there are numberous loads.

In answer to your question, YES multiple columns with biaxial moments and axial loads are what this program was made to handle.

Rather than act as an agent for CSI (unless they are willing to pay me, Ahraf??????) I would suggest that you visit their website (http://www.csiberkeley.com/) and look over what CSI has to offer.  If you have any other specific questions, though, I would be happy to answer them if I can.

T. Eric Gillham PE