Re: "Blown Away"

Bill,
I was in a more fortunate position, when I had to
explain to the Billboard fabricator/erector the code
requirements, I had to comply with. Eventually, he
agreed. Remember, that when something is blown away,
it has a great potential to hurt somebody (or bodies)
physically, which in turn would lead to all kinds of
complications for the engineer. Even if the promoter
gives you in writing whatever conversation transpired
between the two of you, it won't hold up in the court!

I wonder whether the "Outdoor Advertising Association
of America" has any guidelines.

Digressing a little, I had a similar experience
working with one of the fabricators for underground
storm shelters. He came to me to produce calculations,
to support what he was fabricating, which were
required to be sent to FMAA, in order to take
advantage of some Federal Handouts. My calculations
showed that his structures, which were already
installed in several places, were way under-designed.
I am sure accidents are waiting to happen, as was
evidenced from a news article that came to my notice a
couple of months ago. After consulting with the
attorney, the company I used to work for, promptly
withdrew all the designs we did and returned the fees
that the company charged the fabricator.

Rajendran