RE: Observation on Earthquakes, Architects, and Engineers

How does a fastener manufacturer fare during an earthquake? Does he bolt, or
is he screwed?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ausgang [mailto:ausgang(--nospam--at)e46fanatics.com]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 2:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Observation on Earthquakes, Architects, and Engineers

I followed with interest the comments expressed here pertaining to certain
architects stepping in after the recent earthquake near Seattle and
pontificating through the media about things clearly beyond the scope of
their expertise, and better left to Structural Engineers.

Being neither an Architect nor a Structural Engineer,  I might get away with
a controversial (personal) observation.  I have had opportunities over the
years to meet structural engineers who I truly revered --- usually from a
"Vendor/Supplier's distance".   People like Igor Popov, Les Robertson,
Charlie Thorton, Azam Azimi, Branko Galunic, or Thomas Fisher.  Yet, upon
meeting these gentlemen and many others I am struck by their forthcoming,
open, and friendly demeanor.

In stark contrast, there have been occasions I have met certain well-known
architects ---- only to walk away thinking words to the effect of, 'What a
know-it-all, pompous @$$'.

When the lights are on, and the cameras are rolling, it's often the big egos
that find a way to run their mouths ----- much to the media's delight, as
the story must be NOW.   Thus, the thoughtful, deliberative, and
conservative people who actually do know how much work is needed to
determine the structural implications of any event are by their very nature
left out.

Fastener manufacturers are never on the news either.  ;-)
David Sharp
TurnaSure LLC