RE: drywall type shearwalls- l

The 2000 IBC  Table 2306.4.5 footnote c indicates drywall screws are
permitted to be substituted for 5d and 6d cooler nails for wood stud -
gypsum wall board shear walls.

The IBC Table 2306.4.5 footnote a and the UBC Table 25-i footnote 1require a
50% reduction of table values for shearwalls resisting seismic loads in high
seismic zones.

IBC Table 2211.1 and 1997 UBC Table 22-VIII-B only allow gypsum wall board
on steel stud shear walls to resist wind loads and not seismic loads.

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://muni.org/building,
Development Services Department,