RE: Antenna Dish

Eric,

The questions that I have are:

At what conditions (wind speed, etc.) will the antenna be pointed straight up?

Are the locking pins inserted manually or remotely?  If manually, what is
likelihood of nobody willing to mount the antenna in an approaching typhoon to
insert the pins?

Are the people using the antenna constantly aware that the antenna should be
pointed up when a typhoon approaches?  What are the chances that they would
forget?

I think that the answers to these questions would indicate how the antenna
should be positioned for design.

I have been asked in the past to provide design calculations for small, roof
mounted parabolic (satellite) antennas.  I have requested the manufacturers to
provide me with the projected wind area and center of pressure locations for
the antennas and never received any information.  Without this information, I
would be hesitant to design supports for antennas subjected to wind loads.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona