Re: Lubrication for Sliding Connection

William Sherman:

"I would either epoxy bond a thin sheet of teflon to the bearing surface of
the tube or use a fabricated teflon bearing plate (such as Furon Fluorogold
bearing plates). If bearing pressures are low, use the bonded sheet; if
bearing pressures are high, use the fabricated bearing plates (higher
cost)."

James Lane:

"Can you go to a slide bearing pad devise and forget about finding a
lubricant. There are companies that manufacture this type of devise and can
provide information on allowable loads."

I guess that would be the reasonable way to do it but I'd like to stay away
from the Teflon bearings. The loads are very minor and there is some uplift
and horizontal thrust from some cranked roof trusses. The teflon pads might
be expensive and somewhat tricky to detail for this fairly minor connection.

If I can get the ironworkers to install the bolts in the middle of the slots
and stop them from cranking down my finger tight nuts when they install the
locknuts I pretty confident that it will work. But I would like to put some
grease on the faying surface for insurance and to stop the plates from
rusting together.