RE: Base Plates

Calling the contractor nuts might be a little strong.  This method has
been used in the past.  Personally, I was taught (or could that
be brainwashed <grin>) to provide leveling nuts that the base plate would
sit on and that could be used to level the column.  Then the grout would
be placed under the column base plate.

A traditional method, however, has been to use leveling plates.  This
essentially means that a grout pad is placed prior to erection of the
column and then a leveling plate is placed on top of the wet grout and
"smushed" (that is my technical term) until it is "determined" to provide
a level surface.  Then, after the grout has obtained enough strength, the
column is erected.

I could be wrong on this since I have never used or permitted leveling
plates...

Scott