RE: Drilled pier foundation

You are correct that section 1.1.5 states that ACI 318 does not pertain to
drilled piers/caissons embedded in the ground.  Section 1.1.5 does states,
however, that ACI 318 does pertain to drilled piers/caissons for
structures of "high seismic risk or assigned to a high seismic performance
or design categories," as pointed out by some one else.  It should be
noted that this except was added in the 1999 version of ACI 318.  Prior
versions of ACI 318 (i.e. 1995 and earlier) do not contain the "exception"
for high seismic zones within section 1.1.5.  Thus, since ACI 318-95 is
the most prevalently adopted version at this time, it would be somewhat
accurate to say 318 does not pertain to drilled piers/caissons.  As the
2000 IBC code becomes more prevalent, then ACI 318-99 will become the more
prevalent "official" version.

If the exception in 318-99 is "triggered", then section 21.8.4 is referred
to for the requirements for drilled piers/caissons.  This section does NOT
any requirements relative to when the reinforcement should be placed.

The commentary for section 1.1.5 does referred to the "Design and
Construction of Drilled Piers" as reported by ACI 336.  Since this is
contained in the commentary, however, it is not part of the code and
cannot be enforced...unless it is included as part of the project's
contract documents (i.e. in the specs).

ACI committee 336 had two current publications available.  The first is
ACI 336.1/336.1R-98, which is titled "Reference Specification for the
Construction of Drilled Piers (ACI 336.1) and Commentary (ACI 336.1R)".
This document states in section 3.4.10:

"3.4.10 Reinforcement shall be placed before pier concreting begins,
unless otherwise acceptable to the Owner's Respersentative-Geotechnical
Engineer."

The second document is ACI 336.3R-93 (Reapproved 1998), which is titled
"Design and Construction of Drilled Piers".  Sections 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 of
this document essentially say the same thing that ACI 336.1 said.

As stated before, the "provisions" in the ACI 336 documents are NOT code
enforcable.  They can only be a requirement if they are referenced in the
contract documents or is the requirements recommended in them are inserted
into the contract documents.

Hope that helps,

Scott