Re: ibc 2000 adoption

The State of Michigan is currently (and may have finalized by this time)
in the process of adopting the 2000 IBC.  The State usually does make
some "modifications".  The modifications to the structural sections are
typcially fairly minor (at least that is true of the past modifications to
the BOCA code for prior adoption phases).

The one thing to point out, however, is that the State of Michigan does
not operate like California and other states.  The code adopted by the
State is strictly for State owned facilities (i.e. State government
buildings and State university buildings).  The State adopted code is NOT
required for State public schools (K-12).  Currently, the only
requirements for K-12 schools in Michigan is compliance with NFPA fire
code (at least that is what I recall).  Beyond that, each local
jurisdiction is free to adopt what ever code that they choose (there might
be some minimal restrictions).  The result is that most jurisdictions have
traditionally adopted a version of BOCA, with the main exception being the
City of Lansing, which has traditionally adopted a vesion of the UBC.

I would suspect that the City of Detroit has probably begun
deliberations on adopting the 2000 IBC.  They adopted the 1996 BOCA
sometime around 1998.

There has been some talk that the legislature may switch to a system like
California, where the State adopts a code and then each jurisdiction has
to at a minimum adopt that code.

Hope that helps,

Scott