Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Lubrication for Sliding Connection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
My construction dictionary says "the surface of a metal or wooden member
joined closely to another member in such a way as to leave no space between

My architectural dictionary says "in welding, that surface of a member which
is in contact with, or in close proximity to, another member to which it is
to be joined."

I have always understood it to mean contacting surfaces.

James Cohen
James Cohen Consulting, P.C.
PO Box 130
Pennington, NJ 08534
Tel: (609) 730-0510
Fax: (609) 730-0511

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Riley" <jpriley485(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 10:52
Subject: Re: Lubrication for Sliding Connection

> What's "faying" mean?  My dictionary says "fairy or elf".
> Does it mean "contact"?
> "But I would like to put some grease on the faying surface for insurance
> to stop the plates from rusting together."