schoo l- roof snow 125 psf - top hung joist hangers over two laye rs existing gypsum wall board

I am a plan checker looking at plans for a school alteration.  The roof snow
load is 125 psf at the particular location. The plans have a detail where
new roof wood joists are being hung off an existing wall with Simpson top
hung joist hangers butted against 2 layers of existing gypsum wall board.

The engineer says there is an existing similar condition at the school that
is doing fine.  I told the architect just because it was done wrong before
does not mean I am going to issue a permit for an incorrect new application.
The reason they are getting the permit is the roof collapsed in a different
portion of the building.

Does Simpson have any guidelines on this type of application?   Has anyone
had problems with this type of application?

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://muni.org/building,
Development Services Department,