Re: American Know-How

Fellow Engineers,

	Please accept my apologies for misleading you regarding the detailed
make-up of the committee structure for the National Building Code of
Canada.

	I should have checked this out in more detail before I wrote but it
wasn't crucial to the points I was trying to make.  The points I was
trying to make were

1)	If anyone is considering adopting your codes and standards you should
encourage them to do so.

2)	Your already excellent codes could be much improved if the groups
developing codes pooled their resources to develop one common code or
co-ordinated their efforts more closely with one another to inter link
similar sections in their respective codes.

	Getting back to the National Building Code of Canada, my 1995 edition
clearly states (in fine print, mind you) "Copyright National Research
Council of Canada 1995".  Section 4.3 Design Requirements for Structural
Materials takes up about two thirds of a page and essentially lists
C.S.A. standards which apply.  These include
for wood, CSA 086.1
for glued-laminated members, CAN/CSA 0177-M
for masonry, CSA S304.1
for steel, CSA-S16.1-M.
There is no duplication (or attempted improvement) of these in the code
itself.

	I hope this clears things up.

				Sincerely,

				H. Daryl Richardson