Re: American Know-How

Daryl,

Apparently the IBC is following the direction of the National Building Code
of Canada in referencing other codes.  The IBC is just an index to other
codes and standards.  Some parts of the IBC list only changes to a referenced
code or standard.  Instead of having just one book to look at, we will now
have to look at the IBC and see what it references, then drag that reference
out to see what it requires, then drag out the local amendments to see how
they change the requirements.

However, if past performance of the UBC is any indication, the references
will be at least one release behind.  So, in addition to checking the
requirements in the first paragraph, the prudent engineer would then have to
check to see if there is a more recent edition of the referenced code or
standard, and then check to see if there are more stringent requirements in
the latest edition.

Really increases the sales of referenced codes and standards, however!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Daryl Richardson wrote:

. > Fellow Engineers,

. >         Please accept my apologies for misleading you regarding the
. > detailed make-up of the committee structure for the National Building
. > Code of Canada.

. >         I should have checked this out in more detail before I wrote but
. > it wasn't crucial to the points I was trying to make.  The points I was
. > trying to make were

. > 1)      If anyone is considering adopting your codes and standards you
. > should encourage them to do so.

. > 2)      Your already excellent codes could be much improved if the groups
. > developing codes pooled their resources to develop one common code or
. > co-ordinated their efforts more closely with one another to inter link
. > similar sections in their respective codes.

. >         Getting back to the National Building Code of Canada, my 1995
. > edition clearly states (in fine print, mind you) "Copyright National
. > Research Council of Canada 1995". Section 4.3 Design Requirements for
. > Structural Materials takes up about two thirds of a page and essentially
. > lists C.S.A. standards which apply.  These include for wood, CSA 086.1 for
. > glued-laminated members, CAN/CSA 0177-M for masonry, CSA S304.1 for steel,
. > CSA-S16.1-M. There is no duplication (or attempted improvement) of these
. > in the code itself.

. >         I hope this clears things up.

. >                                 Sincerely,

. >                                 H. Daryl Richardson