From: Adair, Joel [mailto:JAdair(--nospam--at)Halff.com]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 11:49 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: One for the lawyers?

How can the "current engineer" (I'm assuming you mean one that survived the
layoff) legally and ethically seal the drawings that were not prepared under
his or her supervision, though?  If I was that "current engineer" being
asked by my employer to seal the drawings, I would want no part of it.  I
don't know what a proper resolution is, but it seems to me that this can't
be a situation for which there is no precedent.  How many engineers could
there be out there who have left a firm after a project is through the
design stage but has not yet been constructed?  My guess is that this is
fairly common.  There must be ways of addressing the liability issues in
these situations.

(Please note "EIT" below -- translated: "They didn't teach me this kind of
stuff in school.")

Joel Adair, EIT
Halff Associates, Inc.
E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at)halff.com