  From: Adair, Joel
  To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
  Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 1:48 PM
  Subject: RE: One for the lawyers?

  How can the "current engineer" (I'm assuming you mean one that survived the layoff) legally and ethically seal the drawings that were not prepared under his or her supervision, though?  If I was that "current engineer" being asked by my employer to seal the drawings, I would want no part of it.  I don't know what a proper resolution is, but it seems to me that this can't be a situation for which there is no precedent.  How many engineers could there be out there who have left a firm after a project is through the design stage but has not yet been constructed?  My guess is that this is fairly common.  There must be ways of addressing the liability issues in these situations.

  (Please note "EIT" below -- translated: "They didn't teach me this kind of stuff in school.")

  Joel Adair, EIT
  Halff Associates, Inc.
  E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at)halff.com