Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: One for the lawyers?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
This is an area I feel that state registration laws for Professional
Engineers are lacking in. If the Responsible Engineer either dies or leaves
the company before sealing work which had been done under his/her direction,
there should be provisions for another engineer to do a thorough review,
make any changes needed, and accept responsibility for the design. However
in general, state licensing laws do not provide for such methods. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Adair, Joel [mailto:JAdair(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 12:49 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)'
Subject: RE: One for the lawyers?

How can the "current engineer" (I'm assuming you mean one that survived the
layoff) legally and ethically seal the drawings that were not prepared under
his or her supervision, though?  If I was that "current engineer" being
asked by my employer to seal the drawings, I would want no part of it.  I
don't know what a proper resolution is, but it seems to me that this can't
be a situation for which there is no precedent.  How many engineers could
there be out there who have left a firm after a project is through the
design stage but has not yet been constructed?  My guess is that this is
fairly common.  There must be ways of addressing the liability issues in
these situations.

(Please note "EIT" below -- translated: "They didn't teach me this kind of
stuff in school.") 

Joel Adair, EIT 
Halff Associates, Inc. 
E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at) 

-----Original Message----- 
From: sscholl2(--nospam--at) [ mailto:sscholl2(--nospam--at)
<mailto:sscholl2(--nospam--at)> ] 
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2001 8:31 PM 
To: seaint(--nospam--at) 
Subject: Re: One for the lawyers? 

I suggest that you contact your former employer and ask them to inform 
the owner that you are no longer connnected with the project and to 
provide you with a copy of the letter or as an alternative to have the 
current engineer seal the drawings and substitute them for the ones you 
sealed. If they do not do this, you should contact the owner and inform 
them. This is similar to projects which we do and do not get fully paid. 
We inform the approving agency that we are no longer the engineer of 

Stan Scholl, P.E.