Scour

I have a situation where a scour hole has developed under a flood control structure. The hole measures ten feet in depth and about 30 feet in length. The usual water depth is 7 feet. The gate is currently kept open because water flows under it. I have two questions:

1. Is there any method to repair this hole in the wet or will the bayou have to be cofferdammed to work in the dry?
2. Can someone point me to any good design guidelines for estimating scour so that the repair does not have to be repaired in the future.

I am working with a geotechnical engineer on this. The structure is supported on battered timber piles. The pile cap is 5 feet thick. The current in this bayou is normally very slow and sometimes reverses itself.

Randy Russ, P.E.