2001 CA SE Exam

I was looking at the CA PE Board's website at lunch and came across a bulletin regarding the 2001 SE exam.

As many of you know, (From SEAOC Newsletters & Post to the list from Ron Hamburger) the format is supposed to change to the NCEES I, II, and a 3rd part on Seismic Design by 2004. The bulletin states that in response to this, they have changed the format somewhat from what the Western States SE exam used to be. It might be useful to those planning to take the test to review. I'm not sure how major these changes are.

One thing I found troubling was that certain questions will force you to use either ASD or LRFD, not choose the one you want to use. Which requires you to learn both.

>From what I understand, the state of Washington has already switched to NCEES with a 3rd part for seismic. Can anyone confirm or deny this and possibly tell us anything useful? I can't take the test until 2002, but I'm beginning to scope out study aides and the like in preparation.

-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680