Re: NEW ACI 355.2- BIG CHANGES LIKELY FOR POST INSTALLED ANCHORS

In a message dated 3/12/01 10:19:53 PM, MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com writes:

<< It was reported by ACI that a manufacturer of anchors had filed suit

against ACI claiming restraint of trade and tried to prevent publication of

ACI 355.2.   Could you please tell us who that manufacturer was?

> I e-mailed that manufacturer to make sure that they wanted to be  named and
haven't heard back yet.  For now, I'll just say that they're very well known.

I would like to know what types of fasteners are not able to satisfy this

criteria.

> It is hard to generalize completely here, but adhesive anchors (epoxy and
other), drop in anchors, self-drill anchors, and most wedge anchors will
either not pass or have problems passing these tests.

I would also like to understand the concerns that the members of the

committee had that lead then to invoke this requirement.

>That may be best answered by the committee members.  There are surely some
applications that may involve high load levels and shallow embedments where
an attachment is made to the underside of a slab or the bottom of a beam that
come to mind.  We supplied our DUC undercut type anchors to hang
prefabricated false stonework off the ceiling in a MTA subway station.  Here
you have potential seismic and constant vibratory loading, with a platform
full of people below.  Not an area to try and save a few bucks on anchors.

I should be noted that you can find the current draft of this standard in

the Feb 2001 edition of Concrete International along  with some history.

Mark Gilligan