Re: Seoul Factory

This is not imperialism! Imperialism is when the item is thrust on you. (The
leftists in these countries would consider Coca-Cola, Pop Music, Hollywood
movies to be imperialism).

I would rather call it the effect of globalisation! It is not necessarily the
product of the engineers who got a higher education in the US. The people who
write the codes in many countries, including India, study the provisions of
codes of various other countries, and formulate their own codes. Where this
effort is too complex, probably they find it easier to just follow one of the
foreign codes, although I think it is very rare.

There are instances in Global contracting, where, for uniformity, the owner may
specify an international code which is better known to designers than the
national code, which may not be known to many potential foreign design firms.
For example, in the Offshore structures discipline, the most widely used
structural design specification (outside Europe) is American Petroleum
Institute's RP 2A. Many onshore projects we have executed in the middle east
had the British codes specified.

M. Hariharan